Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Upside Down Apple Cinnamon Cake





So, if you don't already know this, I am on the Weight Watchers plan. (6 pounds down!) At times. . .it sucks. SO, last night I was checking out Martha Stewart's website for some slightly less indulgent treats. I came across an Apple Upside Down Cake. It looked SO GOOD! (I was craving something sweet!) When I saw the recipe, I thought I had to make it. However, I wanted a gooey caramel sauce with it too. (I also added a vanilla glaze.) So I took the idea of a caramel roll, and mixed it up with the idea of an Apple Upside Down Cake. And here it is. . .

Upside Down Apple Cinnamon Cake

Caramel:

5 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp milk

Cake:
2 apples, peeled and sliced
8 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 to 3 Tbsp milk

1. Melt together butter, brown sugar, and milk. Pour into the bottom of a 9" round pan.
2. Arrange apples over the caramel mixture in whatever pattern you'd like.

3. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

4. Add in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla.

5. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.

6. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.

7. Slowly add in milk and sour cream.

8. Spoon cake batter over the top of the apples.
9. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
10. Cool for about 10 minutes then invert onto a plate. Cool completely.
11. Whisk together the ingredients for the glaze, and glaze the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment