Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chicken Potpie

So this recipe came about because of Dave, my husband. He took a frozen potpie to work yesterday for lunch. He was not impressed with it at all. He called me, and told me that he was really looking forward to a good potpie. "I bet you could make a better one." Think that's a challenge? Well, I did. I didn't have a recipe so I just did this. Basic, and quick to prepare. However, plan ahead. This has to bake for an hour and a half in the oven. I actually prepared it early in the day and kept it in the refrigerator until I was ready to bake it. Made dinner VERY easy. It turned out really good. I can honestly say that we both may have "over indulged" in dinner. (However, doing Weight Watchers I still had plenty of points left.) FYI: 8 pounds down!

Chicken Potpie


1 box of premade pie crust. (2 crusts)
1 1/2 cups cooked sliced carrots
2 potatoes, diced and cooked
1 cup sweet peas
1 cup corn
2 cups cooked, diced chicken
4 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Franks Red Hot (Yes, we really do put that "stuff" on everything.)
1 egg white

1. Line a pie dish with one crust.

2. Mix together the carrots, potatoes, peas, corn, and chicken. Set aside.

3. In a saucepan, melt the butter.

4. Stir in flour.

5. Slowly stir in the chicken broth. (Mixture will be very thick.)

6. Slowly add in the milk. (Mixture will obviously thin out now.)

7. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Boil, while stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.

8. Pour veggie and chicken mixture into the pie crust. (You may have a little left over veggie mix.)
9. Pour all of the sauce mixture over the veggies. (It will look like a lot of sauce, but it get soaked up and thickens a bit during baking.)

10. Top with the second pie crust. Crimp edges as desired.
11. Brush with egg white.

12. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half.

13. Let set for about 15 minutes before serving. Filling is HOT HOT HOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment