Saturday, August 21, 2010

Minnesota State Fair Australian Fried Potato Copycat Recipe

Ahhh. . .Australian Fried Potatoes. This is a must have for anyone visiting the Minnesota State Fair. I can remember the first time I tasted one of these. My dad got them at the fair, battered, deep fried slices of baked potatoes topped with ranch dressing and nacho cheese. I had a bite. . .and was hooked. My recipe is simply an "adaptation" of the ones at the State Fair. I don't claim to make them as good, but darn close! It's not the healthiest way to enjoy a potato, but it's definitely the best way.

Minnesota State Fair Australian Fried Potato Copycat Recipe

6 large potatoes
1 12 oz can of beer
2 eggs
2 to 2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
Oil for deep frying
Ranch Dressing or Nacho Cheese for dipping

1. Wash potatoes and slice, lengthwise, with a crinkle cutter (You don't have to use the crinkle cutter, but it helps to make the batter stick to the potatoes better.)

2. Place potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet.


3. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Potatoes should look partially cooked but still a bit firm in the center.

4. Cool potatoes comepletely.

5. While potatoes are cooling, mix together beer, flour, eggs, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic.

6. Heat oil in skillet or deep fryer. I used a skillet, didn't want to take the fryer out for a few potatoes.

7. Dip each potato into batter, and put directly into pan.

8. Fry for three minutes on each side or until potatoes are crispy and golden brown.



9. Set on large pan lined with paper towels to cool. I like to toss the pan in the oven, at 200 degrees while all the rest of the potatoes are frying to keep them warm and crunchy.

10. Serve with any dipping sauces you'd like. I, of course, go with the Minnesota State Fair combo of ranch dressing and nacho cheese.








3 comments:

  1. yummy, thx for this recipe! I'll be blogging about making these this week and will be linking back to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite foods at the state fair and I tried at home this evening and it is spot on! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can be a substitute for beer?

    ReplyDelete