Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Grandpa Hogan's Peanut Brittle

This recipe is originally from my Grandpa. My mom said she vividly remembers making giant batches of it each year. She said she hated all the stirring! It's now something that my Mom makes every year. It's perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. This picture is actually of some Peanut Brittle that my mom made. She sent it home with my husband, and I snapped a picture. Thanks Mom! Tastes Great!

Grandpa Hogan's Peanut Brittle


3 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups corn syrup
6 Tbsp butter
2lbs of raw peanuts
3 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp water
salt

1. In a large pot, mix together sugar, water, and corn syrup.

2. Cook over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees. (Soft ball stage.)

3. Stir in butter and peanuts. Continue cooking, stirring CONSTANTLY until thermometer reads 302 degrees. (Hard crack stage.)

4. Pour peanut brittle out onto buttered cookie sheets and spread thin. IMMEDIATELY sprinkle generously with salt.

5. Break and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment