Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

It's that time of year again. . .Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I hate to admit it, but I'm not exactly a "Thanksgiving-y" person. I would honestly not be disappointed if we just skipped right over it and headed straight to Christmas. I know: some of you are highly offended by such things, but for me, it's true.

I get that there's history in the Holiday, and that people take their turkey and pie quite seriously. I however, could (and do) eat turkey and pie all year long, so it's not about the meal for me.

Last year we spent our Thanksgiving at Disney World. It didn't even feel like Thanksgiving, and I was completely fine with that. We ate at a Chinese restaurant inside Epcot called Nine Dragons. Wasn't very good. TOTALLY un-Thanksgiving-y. We had an amazing time. Finished off the night with the Holiday Fireworks Display with more than 14,000 fireworks!

But this year we'll be home. My mom is having surgery on Monday and will be on the mend during the Holiday break, which means I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year. To prep myself for such festivities I have been pumping out the pumpkin treats!

I made these cookies a few weeks back to bring to our small group at church on Wednesday night. I usually bring a treat every Wednesday, and they tend to almost always be cupcakes. This week, however, I stepped outside the usual, and brought cookies.

They're soft, spicy, moist, and delicious. The cookie itself isn't very sweet. Almost like a pumpkin bread. But top it with the glaze and it's an incredibly indulgent treat! So prep yourself for the big meal, get into the swing of things, and make a batch of cookies! Added Bonus: The house smells very festive when they're baking!

Pumpkin Spice Cookies!

COOKIES:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

1. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt and set aside.

2. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until lightly pale and fluffy.

3. Add in egg and vanilla extract.

4. Combine the pumpkin with the creamed butter mixture.

5. Slowly add in the dry ingredients.

6. Drop, by Tbsp, onto cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes at 350.

7. Cool, and glaze!

GLAZE:
2 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon butter (melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until incorporated.

2. Spoon over cookies and let set.

3. I like to lightly dust the cookies with cinnamon sugar when glaze is still runny.


No comments:

Post a Comment