Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Marinated Ham Sammies


To. Die. For. A few years back I had tasted one of these at a party and couldn't get them out of my head. I came across many recipes, but none measured up. I made them several times and then I found the key: Kings Hawaiian Dinner Rolls.

See, they are a combination of every thing sweet and savory, but if you use regular dinner rolls, and not the Kings Hawaiian, they are just not sweet enough. Trust on me this one, it makes all the difference in the world. Being the Sam's Club shopper that I am, I buy these in a 24 count package for $3.88!

These are great as appetizers, and a must have on Christmas and Easter morning when you wanna pop something in the over without doing any cooking. And I don't know about you, but I am SO OVER all the "egg bakes" of this world.

I have never made them and NOT had someone ask for the recipe. As a matter of fact, once you do make them, not only will people ask for the recipe, you'll be known as "the girl who brought those little ham things" at every future gathering.

I suppose I should mention that there's an astronomical amount of butter involved, but it's the Holidays. . .grab the butter and run with it!

Make them. Seriously. Tonight.

Marinated Ham and Swiss Sammies

24 Kings Hawaiian Dinner rolls, split
24 pieces of ham, folded neatly to fit in dinner roll
24 small pieces of swiss cheese, again, nice and tidy inside that pillowy little roll
3 sticks of butter (take a deep breath. . .you're not eating them every day.)
4 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestishire sauce (if your worried about any ingredient is should be this one. . . made from fermented fish. Not even kidding. Saw it on Dirty Jobs.)
3 Tbsp spicy mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar

1. Arrange the bottom of all the buns in a large baking dish. I use a 10 x 15 pan.

2. Top each bun with a piece of ham, a piece of cheese, and the top of the bun. Some recipes say to put mayo on each bun, but the butter has left me feeling guilty enough.

3. Mix together the rest of the ingredients and microwave until melted.

4. Pour over sandwiches, cover with foil, and refrigerate over night.

5. Assuming you were smart enough to make these the night before Christmas, means that in the morning, when the kids are dumping stockings and you want to crawl back in bed, toss these bad boys in the oven, and wait for pure bliss! 350, until everythings melted and gooey. usually about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment