Monday, February 28, 2011

Citrus Almond Rice

I am addicted to cooking shows. All of them. But I especially LOVE Giada DeLaurentis and Paula Deen. I DVR Giada every single day and watch when the kids go to bed. She makes at least one recipe in every episode that I try to make at home. This is one of them. I saw this recipe on her show a few weeks ago, and she had me at "Toasted Almonds." Throw some citrus in there, and I'm hooked!

Her recipe calls for Basmati Rice, but I used what I had on hand. . .some good old Minute Rice. Also, her recipe calls for more olive oil (original recipe says 1/2 cup, but I just used 1/3), but this rice is plenty moist enough. Any more oil, and I'd think it was too oily. Maybe if I had used the Basmati Rice it would have needed the original amount, but I didn't use it in this.

Anyways, this is a keeper for sure. We'll be making it many more times. We all liked it. . .except for Tessa.

Citrus Almond Rice

3 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups minute rice
salt and pepper
zest from 1 medium orange
zest from 1 lemon
3/4 cup fresh, flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 cup sliced, toasted, almonds

1. In a pan, combine broth, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.

2. Add in rice. Remove from heat, and let set for 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the green onions and parsley.

4. Add in most of the zests. (Reserve a Tbsp or so for garnish.)

5. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, and cumin.

6. Whisk until all combined. Pour over rice.

7. Gently fold dressing into the rice mixture.

8. Add in 1/2 cup of toasted sliced almonds and stir again.

9. Garnish rice with remaining almonds and zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment