Friday, January 14, 2011

Twisted French Toast

This recipe is an original of my Dad's. . .that my husband revamped a little bit. As I've said before, on anything "breakfast" that I post, I tell you that I am not a "breakfast" person. I am however, a "breakfast-for-dinner" person. SO tonight for dinner, we had sausage, hashbrowns, and french toast. Dad's recipe, with Dave's twist. . .Hence the "Twisted" in the "French Toast." It's SO GOOD!

I think what makes this recipe insanely delicious is the fact that you butter both sides of the bread before dipping it in the egg mixture. Then it's cooked at a low temperature for a long time. It gives it a super crispy texture on the outside, and a soft pillowy center. Not the healthiest french toast you'll ever eat, but surely the tastiest.

Twisted French Toast


8 pieces of Texas Toast Bread
6 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon (I never measure, just toss in what looks and smells delicious.)
1 Tbsp brown sugar (Dave's twist.)

1. Start but getting your griddle nice and toasty. I keep the temp at about 300 degrees.

2. Butter both sides of each piece of bread.

3. Whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar.

4. Dredge the bread into the egg mixture. Let the bread set in the egg for a few seconds to absorb a little of the egg.

5. Set on griddle and cook low and slow until the edges are crispy.

6. Turn, and continue cooking on the other side.

7.
Serve with additional butter and syrup. . .or if you're like my kids. . . slather on the peanut butter too!

No comments:

Post a Comment