Thursday, January 27, 2011

Toasted Almond Chicken

Oh. My. Gosh. This is the best chicken ever. Seriously. Ever, as in, from the beginning of time, when chicken was created and Adam and Eve cooked it. This is SO good! This was the first time I have ever made this. It's in the Southern Living At Home: Easy Weeknight Favorites cookbook. I've had this cookbook for about six years, and have passed this recipe by over and over. Today, however, I decided to make it. . . and I am so glad I did!

It was easy, it was fast, and it was insanely tasty. I'm not even a meat person usually either. I hate pork. Steak is OK if it's a good cut, and cooked properly, and chicken is chicken. This chicken, however, is soooooooo not "just chicken." It only has a few ingredients, and it's crazy how they all work together. I mean seriously, dijon mustard and orange? Who'd-a-thunk it? (I have to admit, at the grocery store, when I bought my Grey Poupon, I couldn't help but hope a limo would stop next to me at the stoplight and ask, "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?" You know what I'm talking about. . .)

When you take that first bite, the chicken is juicy and tender, the sauce is creamy with a little bit of the mustard taste to it, and the orange flavor is like a little after taste surprise that leaves everyone asking, "Oooohhhh. . .what's in that?!!" My husband, like me, was hooked as soon as the first bite hit his tongue. The kids loved it too. We all agree the sauce is to die for. Oh, and as a special little bonus, the almonds give it a crunch and nutiness that is so addicting.

The best part about the almonds, is the smell in my house when I took them out of the oven after toasting them. I seriously stood there, stirring the sauce, and basking in the scent of the toasted almonds. If ever I thought it was absolutely important that you try one of my recipes, this is the one. Not kidding. Don't go to bed tonight without taking a bite. Seriously. No seriously. Serious.

Toasted Almond Chicken

6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts

1/8 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

3 Tbsp butter, divided

1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream

2 Tbsp. orange marmalade

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

1/8 tsp red pepper

1 small pkg. sliced almonds, toasted


1. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper.

2. Melt 1 ½ Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat.

3. Add 3 of the chicken breasts and cook for two minutes on each side or until golden colored.

4. Remove chicken from heat and repeat with remaining three chicken breasts.

5. Reduce heat slightly and add whipping cream, marmalade, mustard, and red pepper.

6. Stir well.

7. Add chicken and almonds and cook for another eight to ten minutes or until chicken in done and sauce is slightly thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment