Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nancy's Wedding Cake


What exactly is a "Nancy's Wedding Cake?" It's actually a cake that my grandma made when my aunt Nancy was a child. I guess she liked it so much that she said she wanted it to be her wedding cake. But when she actually got married, there was no "Nancy's Wedding Cake" on the menu. However, the name stuck.

I don't ever remember my own mom making this when I was a kid, but I do remember going to stay at my Grandma's house and seeing this big, white, domed, cake in her refrigerator. She said it was one of her favorites, and at Grandma's house, the serving size was always extra large. I can honestly say, that some of my best and most cherished childhood memories are of my Grandma. I spent a lot of time with her, and every time I make this cake, I think of her.

Nancy's Wedding Cake

1 white cake of your liking, prepared in two 8" pans.
Lemon Curd Filling
Whipped Icing

LEMON CURD FILLING:

3 egg yolks
4 Tbsp lemon juice
6 Tbsp orange juice
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 heaping Tbsp of flour

1. Whisk all ingredients together in a sauce pan.

2. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened.

3. Cool completely.

WHIPPED ICING:

3 heaping Tbsp of flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar

1. In a saucepan, whisk together flour and milk.

2. Cook over medium heat until thickened.

3. Remove from heat and cool completely.

4. Transfer flour/milk mixture to large mixing bowl.

5. Cream together with it the butter, shortening, and vanilla.

6. This is where it gets to be time comsuming: You have to add the sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, mixing on high, between each addition. If you do not mix long enough, your icing will have a gritty sugary consistency. If you do mix long enough, your icing will be very fluffy and creamy.

CAKE ASSEMBLY:

1. Cut both cake layers horizontally creating a total of four cake layers.

2. Place first layer on your cake plate, spread with 1/3 of the Lemon Curd Filling.

3. Repeat with the rest of the cake and filling.

4. Frost entire cake with whipped icing.

NOTE: Cake must be refrigerated. Let set out for a bit before serving to allow the frosting to soften up.

No comments:

Post a Comment