Friday, September 17, 2010

Kids Cocoa

My kids LOVE hot cocoa. I can honestly say, that I have not, at least since I've had kids, bought the pre-packaged hot cocoa mixes. I made home made hot cocoa one time, and we were all hooked. Yesterday when the kids came home from school it was pouring rain. I mean raining hard enough that from the walk out of the school to the car they were drenched. When they got home we had cookies and cocoa to warm up. I made it before I left to pick them up and heated it a little longer than usual. I wanted it to be made and on the table when they got home, but still piping hot when they took that first sip. It was the first time we had made cocoa since last winter and they were so excited.

Kids Cocoa

1 cup milk
1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa, I use Hershey's dark chocolate
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp instant Folgers coffee
Dash of salt

1. Pour all ingredients into coffee mug, and microwave on high for about 1 minute.

2. Remove from microwave and stir with a spoon or mini whisk to combine all ingredients. Heat for a bit longer if you want it any hotter.

TIP: This is a basic recipe, you can change it to add different flavors. My kids like to toss an Andes mint in the bottom and stir till its melted. Turns into a creamy minty cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment