Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf!




I just have to say in advance. . . I hate meat loaf.  I don't remember my mom making it often as a kid, but on the rare occasions that she did, I'd rather starve than eat it. I shouldn't even say this, since I am posting a meatloaf recipe. . .but it always reminded me of the can of cat food I remember my grandma feeding her cats.  Meat does not naturally come in loaf form, so eating and enjoying meatloaf is not something I do often.

I have made meatloaf for my family several times, and still feel the same way about it.  HOWEVER., when you wrap something in bacon, it becomes a WHOLE. 'NUTHA. FOOD.  You can barely qualify this as meatloaf.  It is now a smoky, bacon-wrapped, party in your mouth.  Dave loved it.  He loves just about any form of meatloaf.  I could probably crack open a can of Spam and he'd be happy, (note that I am sure that Spam even has meat in it. . . does it?)  but this meatloaf. . .he really genuinely, loved it.  I will even admit that I MORE than enjoyed this.  It was so good.  The flavor was just right, the bacon crisp yet tender, and the glaze. . .well. . . without it, this meatloaf wouldn't be the same.   

So if you're a meatloaf fan. . . this is a total no-brainer for you.   If, like me, you're not a meatloaf fan. . . I may have just changed your life.  You're welcome. 

BACON WRAPPED MEATLOAF

MEATLOAF:
1 cup heavy cream
6 slices of italian/white bread
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
few dashes of cayenne pepper
4 eggs
12ish slices of bacon

GLAZE:
1/2 cup ketchup
3Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp mustard
few dashes of Worcestishire Sauce

1.  Break bread into bite sized pieces and pour the heavy cream over the bread pieces.  Let soak while you move on to the next step.

2.  In a great big bowl, toss in your ground beef, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and eggs. 

3.  Toss the bread soaked in cream into the bowl with the other ingredients.

4.  Now comes the part that makes me want to gag every time. . . dig your hands all up in that business and mush until all the ingredients are combined.

5.  Line a cake pan or jelly roll pan with foil, and form meat into a loaf in the center of foil-lined pan.  (I did a longer rather than wider loaf.  It helps cook a bit faster and is easier for covering with the bacon.)

6.  NOW comes the fun part, grab that bacon, and just cover the meatloaf with it.  Tuck the ends in under the meatlaof to keep it from falling apart!



7.  Toss in the oven at 350 and bake for about 50 minutes. 

8.  While meatloaf is baking, whisk your glaze ingredients together.  After the meatloaf has baked for about 50 minutes, pour glaze over the top of the meatloaf and return to oven for another 15 to 20 minutes. 

9.  Once you remove the meatloaf from the oven, let set for ten to fifteen minutes before slicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment