Monday, May 23, 2011

Perfect Fried Eggs. . .(If You're Cooking for Dave.)

As I've mentioned in MANY of my posts before, I am not a breakfast person. But as you know, I am a breakfast-for-dinner person. Which is what this is. We had a GREAT dinner! Eggs, fresh berries, homemade biscuits, and homemade sausage gravy. Dave and Justin were in heaven! I am a fan of biscuits and gravy, could do without the eggs.

I don't know what it is about a fried egg that makes me just say, "eh. .. it's an egg." But that is my reaction to fried eggs. Toss an omelet my way, full of veggies and cheese, and you'll get a far different reaction. Even scarambled eggs, love em! But a fried egg? It's so plain. I guess, for all you egg lovers out there. That's the beauty of it. A simple, perfectly cooked, egg.

I will say this, according to Dave, these fried eggs were absolutely perfect. Yolk was just runny enough, and whites were cooked just enough. I will admit it. Eggs were not always my thing. It took me years to be able to fry an egg the way he likes it. I usually over cooked them. Then, when I was trying so desperately to get the runny yolk he loves so much, I undercooked them. He complained many times about "snotty egg whites." Yuck! If that wasn't enough to make me never want a fried egg again! But I kept with it.

Now I'm not going to do this post in recipe format, instead I'm going to give you a few pointers and tips that helped me along the way.

1. Get the griddle good and hot. I mean piping hot.

2. Don't skimp on the butter. For crying out loud, it's a fried egg!

3. Only flip the egg 1 time. None of this back and forth business. Cook it on one side until the whites look done on the edges, and give it a good flip.

4. Don't forget the salt and pepper. Without it, your eggs, well, just an egg. But with it. . .delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment