Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bucatini All'Amatriciana

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Giada DeLaurentiis! She is my favorite cook on the Food Network. (Well, she and Paula Deen are tied.) Over the years I have made MANY of Giada's recipes. When I found out that Target was carrying her brand I was so excited! Her pasta recipes always look so fresh and delicious.
One thing I realized when watching her show, however, is that she always cooks with pasta shapes that I cannot find in stores. Now I know that to a lot of people, pasta is pasta. Who cares about the shape, but after two years of searching for Bucatini noodles, I wanted to SCREAM when I found this!It's basically Spaghetti Noodles, only thicker, and with a tunnel down the center of them!
I cannot WAIT TO EAT DINNER! I actually just took the recipe from the back of the box, and followed that with a few minor changes. So here it is:



Bucatini All'Amatriciana

1 lb Bucatini Pasta
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 lb Peppered Bacon, fried and crumbled (this is different than her recipe, hers calls for 6oz of pancetta, but I used bacon, and a lot of it! This is a mostly meatless pasta but I thought that by adding the bacon I could use it as a main dish.)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 14oz can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese

1. To a large, heavy skillet add onion and olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes till tender.

2. Add in garlic, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and bacon. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens.
3. Cook pasta according to directions and toss with sauce.

4. Stir in cheese, and serve! Garnish with additional grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment