Friday, July 5, 2013

Oh My! Macaroni Salad!



OK. . .so Oh My! Macaroni Salad may sound like a bit much, and there's nothing boring about it!  Occasionally, I'll hit up the deli at the grocery store and grab a container of the ultra goopy, super gloppy, totally mushy but oh so tasty, container of macaroni salad. 

As I'm eating it, I'll wonder what it is: 
What's the "veggie" chunk that just got stuck between my teeth, or
what on earth is that "saucy" stuff the macaroni is floating in, and
is that REALLY pasta, because the texture is way not pasta-ish.

And then I came across this recipe from the The Pioneer Woman and YIKES!  I am in trouble!!!!  She just took Macaroni Salad to a whole. ..nutha. . .level.  This is so insanely delicious, that I most certainly have to pace myself when it comes to my macaroni salad intake level.

Did I mention my kids?  Who HATE macaroni salad? Who think it's totally nasty?  Who gobbled up this stuff in no time flat?!!!!!  Yeah, they loved it!  I can say for certain, that I will never purchase another sloppy container of that goo from the deli, and that this will be my stand by recipe!!!!!

If you'd like the ORIGINAL version by my favorite blogger Miss Ree Drummond, you can grab it right here!  The version I have for you here, is close to the same as hers, but with a few additions and one subtraction! 

Oh. My. Macaroni Salad!!!!

4 cups elbow macaroni
3 big ol roasted red peppers, finely chopped (in a jar, next to pickles. . . you're welcome)
6 whole SUPER spicy pickles!  (I used some really hot ones!  Trust me. . . the whole "sweet-heat" thing is really workin for this recipe!)
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese (when I say cubed, I mean petitely diced, like you were feeding a Barbie.)
3/4 cup mayo
4 tsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp vinegar
Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste (which means LOTS)
1/4 cup milk
Splash of pickle juice (not a drizzle, wouldn't be enough, you need a full on splash)

1.  Boil pasta as directed on package.  Then drain and rinse with COLD water.
2.  Toss the peppers, pickles, onion, and cheese in a big bowl.
3.  In a separate bowl combine the mayo, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper, milk, and pickle juice. 
4.  FINALLY, dump the macaroni in the bowl with the cheese and veggies, and dump on the dressing! Toss to coat, and serve that good stuff up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment