Friday, August 5, 2011

Strawberry Jello-sicles

I have a 7 year old daughter who LOVES to cook. In fact, all my kids like to cook. Because of their love of cooking we've begun a "Junior Chef" program at home. Which means that EVERY night I have a helper in the kitchen. I allow them to do as much as possible for our dinner prep. Chopping (which is scary at times), stirring, measuring, you name it. We have the kids on a rotation and they work with me every night. Another perk of being the "Junior Chef" is that child gets to say prayers before dinner or choose that evenings prayer.

This has been so much fun. We've only been doing it for about a week and a half now, and it's been great for me and the kids. I get one on one time to chat with the kids while teaching them something, and they get knowledge and special "mom and me" time. I've also tried to take advantage of their willingess to try what they make, and have them each cook things that in the past they wouldn't eat.

Getting back to my 7 year old. . .Ava. . .she is the one who enjoys cooking and hands on things the most. She wanted to make something that she could do all by herself. No help. So we got a popsicle mold, and started making popsicles. It's quick. It's easy. And the possibilities are endless. We made Vanilla Pudding Pops yesterday, and today she wanted Strawberry Popsicles. So here's the recipe. She made them all by herself!

Srawberry Jello-sicles


1 small package of strawberry Jello
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup finely chopped strawberries

1.
Mix together Jello, boiling water, cold water, and sugar until all is dissolved.

2. Evenly distribute berries in popsicle molds.

3. Pour Jello mixture over berries and insert popsicle sticks.

4.
Freeze solid and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment